SD Building Services offer specialist electrical contractors; providing design and implementation of new electrical installations, testing, lighting and heating controls, garden lighting and maintenance.
We are NICEIC Approved Contractors and EIC Registered Members
The domestic market is somewhere that requires special attention, as after all, it’s your home! Platt and Davis offer a wide range of electrical services for the homeowner.
- From a broken switch to a rewire.
- From a light not working to a complete Lutron homeworks lighting design.
- Fault Finding.
- Landlords certificates.
Electrical / Lighting Design
SD Building Services can offer design of any electrical installation from where an extra socket can go right up to a complete lighting design.
For more information on lighting design please see our lighting controls section below
With over half the homes in the UK dating back to before 1945, it is crucial for homeowners to check the condition of their electrical installations.
Electrical problems will not necessarily be highlighted by a home buyers survey (even if you opt for the full survey, as these are generally carried out by surveyors) and of course it is better to know that things are in order before you commit yourself to the purchase, giving you piece of mind knowing that the property is electrically safe.
You should also be able to negotiate the costs of any remedial works from the sale price! Sometimes Banks & Building Societies will insist an inspection is carried out before releasing funds.
We offer two types of inspections:
- Firstly a visual only, which provides a indicitive state of the electrical installation, but involves no testing , (ideal if you have an indication that the property may need rewiring).
- The second test is the one which we strongly recommend and involves carrying out physical tests on the electrical installation, wiring, accessories, fusebaords etc and is quite involved. you would then recevie a detailed report, together with any remedial works that are required to bring your installation to current standards.
What to look for.
- Hot plugs and sockets or scorch marks
- Fuses that blow for no obvious reason Old style fuse boards with rewirable fuses
- Lights flickering
- Extension leads and adaptors used because of lack of socket outlets
- Check your fuseboard/consumer unit – it should have a last date inspected on it! – If it hasn’t chances are it needs testing.
Lighting is the soul of every space, and is often overlooked. Lighting design is about controlling the perception and level of light in both interiorand exterior spaces.
Architecture, furniture, decoration, artwork and fittings can only be fully appreciated when enhanced by a well designed and carefully considered lighting scheme.
Imagine being able to transform the mood of a room or space at the touch of a switch! Whether you are entertaining guests, relaxing in front of the television or fire, creative lighting design will allow the appropriate mood to be set instantly.
Security lighting makes our homes safer to be in and around.
It keeps visitors safe when approaching the building in the dark and is a proven deterrent to burglars.
SD Building Services understand the importance of security lighting and can offer expert advice in the design and installation of a range of bespoke systems for your home.
SD Building Services offer a comprehensive service in security lighting that begins with a detailed audit of your premises and continues with design of the lighting system, fitting and maintenance.
- Security lighting that stays on in the hours of darkness
- Infrared sensor lights that react to body heat
- Motion sensitive lights
- Designs to suit all styles of properties from traditional carriage style lights to state of the art spotlights
- Security lighting testing, Inspection, Security lighting repair and maintenance service.
Buying an efficient new boiler is only the first step in saving money on your heating costs. Outdated heating controls waste your money.
Upgrading from an old-fashioned thermostat to a programmable room thermostat gives you more options for controlling your heating.
Out-of-date central heating system components and controls can lead to wasting energy and potential problems in several areas.
- No cylinder thermostat – excessive stored water temperature and risk of scalding.
- No room thermostat – rooms are too hot.
- Lack of thermostatic radiator valves (TRVs) – excessive room temperatures and poor heating system balancing.
- Absence of boiler interlock – the boiler stays hot and cycles unnecessarily during programmed heating periods.
As a householder, you might not notice these issues, but they’ll be wasting your money in the long run.
The type of heating controls you need will depend on the type of heating system you have and whether your hot water comes direct from your boiler or via a hot water cylinder.
There are four main types of heating control:
- Timer – turns your boiler on or off at set times.
- Room thermostat – measures how warm your room is and adjusts the boiler operation accordingly.
- Programmer – lets you set different times and temperatures for different days of the week.
- Thermostatic radiator valves (TVRs) – allow you to adjust the temperature of individual radiators and turn them off completely.
Turning down your thermostat by just 1°C can save you £55, according to the Energy Saving Trust.
Platt and Davis can advise you on which controls you need for your home.
SD Building Services can supply Electrical Maintenance Technicians on a day-by-day basis or to help you support holiday cover, or we can also offer a full maintenance regime so you never have to worry.
Our Electrical team can work on a wide range of production machinery and plants as well as looking after the factories infrastructure.
The roles we can offer you include PPM (Planned Preventative Maintenance), testing, fault finding, equipment repair, the procurement, installation and removal of equipment, stock control of parts and spares and updating maintenance records.
Whether you need our maintenance team for a day or a year we are only a call away.